We know that Airbnb is a popular website for people to list, find, and rent lodging. It has over 1,500,000 listings in 34,000 cities and 190 countries.
Recently, Airbnb launched Big Data tool Airpal, a web-based query execution tool that leverages Facebook’s PrestoDB to facilitate data analysis by authoring queries and retrieving results simple for users.
Key features of Airpal:
- optional access controls for users
- ability to search and find tables
- see metadata, partitions, schemas, and sample rows
- write queries in an easy-to-read editor
- submit queries through a web interface
- track query progress
- get the results back through the browser as a CSV
- create new Hive table based on the results of a query
- save queries once written
- searchable history of all queries run within the tool
- Java 7 or higher
- MySQL database
- Presto 0.77 or higher
- S3 bucket (to store CSVs)
- Gradle 2.2 or higher
On keeping with the spirit of Presto, they have tried to make it simple to install Airpal by providing a local storage option for people who would like to test it out without any overhead or cost.
For more detailed information, visit the GitHub page here: https://github.com/airbnb/airpal