Alexa, which is Amazon’s cloud-based voice service. It powers voice experiences on millions of devices, including Amazon Echo and Echo Dot, Amazon Tap, Amazon Fire TV devices, and devices like Triby that use the Alexa Voice Service.
One year ago, Amazon opened up Alexa to developers, enabling you to build Alexa skills with the Alexa Skills Kit(ASK) and integrate Alexa into your own products with the Alexa Voice Service(AVS).
Starting this month, customers can browse Alexa skills by categories such as “Smart Home” and “Lifestyle” in the Alexa app, apply additional search filters, and access their previously enabled skills via the “Your Skills” section.
Some fun facts about the Alexa Skills Kit, Alexa Voice Service, and Alexa Fund include:
- There are now over 1,400 Alexa skills and the catalog has grown by 50% in just over one month
- Customers have made over 3 million requests using the top 10 most popular Alexa skills
- Since January 2016, selection of Alexa smart home API skills has grown by more than 5x
- There are now over 10,000 registered developers using the Alexa Voice Service to integrate Alexa into their products
- There are tens of thousands of developers currently working on Alexa projects
- The Alexa Fund has invested in 16 startups, with a focus on smart home and wearable products to date.
- Over the next year, The Alexa Fund will be expanding investments into startups that focus on robotics, developer tools, healthcare, accessibility and more
Alexa Developer Platform references are listed below:
- Alexa Skills Kit (ASK) at https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/alexa/alexa-skills-kit/content/alexa-developer-skill-promotion
- Alexa Voice Service (AVS) at https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/alexa/alexa-voice-service